Keyaki

I love making furniture out of Keyaki (Japanese Elm). The grain, the colors, the solid weight of a slab that can obliterate your toes...

Shigeru Katoさん(@katothewalrus)が投稿した写真 -

The wood for this table was rescued out of a dump almost 15 years ago. Many hands had a go at turning it into a table, and for the better part of a decade the pieces sat in storage. As luck would have it I saw the wood in the back of a truck on the way to a thankless new home, and wrangled it free. Here it sat for a year, and then last Sunday a friend and I went to town on this beast.

It now resides in a friend's minshuku (Japanese style inn) in Onjuku, a wedding gift that will probably outlast the both of them haha.

Shigeru Katoさん(@katothewalrus)が投稿した写真 -


I'm not the most skilled woodworker out there, and never the hardest working, but if I get inspired and start rolling, best just step back and give me space (or a hand. advice is welcome to).

Shigeru Katoさん(@katothewalrus)が投稿した写真 -

Comments

  1. Beautiful table! I love things like this.

    Someone near me does stuff like this one day I hope to get nice bench or table from him. Love how he takes woods from old barns and other various wood and turns them into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something amazing about a one of a kind hand crafted piece. Especially when it comes from an old hunk of wood with a story.

      Delete

Post a Comment